Sitting here now, Srila Prabhupada, and trying to think of how to write this vyasa puja offering to you. Should I write poetry? Should I express my feelings? Should I glorify your qualities, or compose some prayer in the style of the previous great acaryas? A devotee is meant to be poetic, but I am not a devotee, so my poetry is more like the braying of an ass. The poetry of self-realised souls like yourself, Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura and Srila Narottama Dasa Thakura are worthy of describing the nature of pure devotees like yourself, Srila Prabhupada.
How can I express my mundane, conditioned feelings for you, srila prabhupada? What is the use? You are constantly in ecstasy of pure love of Krsna, and mundane feelings are insubstantial to you. They are like the feelings in a dream.
Your qualities are innumerable, and limitless. So I have not the ability or time to glorify them sufficiently.
Oh prayers, oh poetry, my obeisances unto you! Please excuse my inability to compose you. But now, wherever I stay, I can serve Srila Prabhupada, the most perfect pure devotee, by distributing his teachings, and I think this is sufficient for me.
Because I cannot compose anything to glorify you, Srila Prabhupada, I have taken the guidance of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura in his song, Boro Sukher Khabor Gāi:
1) I have come to bring good news: Srila Prabhupada has opened a marketplace of the holy name, starting in New York and stretching across the whole universe.
2) He is selling the holy name in that marketplace for the price of only one’s faith.
3) Srila Prabhupada, the representative of the most mericiful lord Nityananda, is selling the holy name to the devotees after preaching to them so expertly.
4) O brother, if you want the holy name then come with me. We must go to that great soul, Srila Prabhupada. We can go to him simply by reading his books.
5) You will get the name of Krishna, I will take my commission and all of our desires will be fulfilled.
6) Srila Prabhupada is greatly merciful. Taking only one’s faith, He gives the highest ecstasy.
7) If He sees only once tears in the eyes while chanting the name “Gaura” then He gives everything to that person. Srila Prabhupada takes even a little service as a great deal.
8) He gives the pure teachings of Krishna to everyone not caring for their birth, wealth, knowledge and strength. He gives the highest love of Krishna even to the most fallen westerners, and his mercy continues even if we sometimes forsake him. He is always available.
9) Now, giving up the illusory snare of Maya, either remain in household life or in the forest as a sannyasi, for no more troubles remain.
10) There is no more fear of the age of Kali. the merciful Srila Prabhupada gives the holy name to even the candalas, or those even lower, who do not at all know of the Vedic principles. Murderers, thieves, cow-eaters, women hunters, Srila Prabhupada makes no discrimination.
11) “Except for the lotus feet of Srila Prabhupada there is no other shelter!”